Author Topic: Optional Disclaimer  (Read 3379 times)

razy

• Youngling
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: Razy
Optional Disclaimer
« on: May 27, 2014, 08:36:16 AM »
I have noticed on larger channels that they have started running a disclaimer with their giveaways. I was wondering if you could add an optional disclaimer for raffles. State something like the giveaway is at the steamers sole discretion and is not associated with twitch.tv. I realize it may seem unneeded but I am pretty sure that using your raffle system for anything that has a monetary value is against twitch's TOS without a disclaimer. I suggest that its optional as I know that I use it for both "for fun" as well as game giveaways and the extra spam may not be needed for everyone.

JordanMillward_1

• Advisor
  • Padawan
    • View Profile
    • My Channel
  • Twitch Name: JordanMillward_1
Re: Optional Disclaimer
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:38:34 AM »
Actually, you just have to follow the rules associated with your home nation in terms of raffles - it's not a breach of Twitch ToS to raffle items that have a monetary value, but it is illegal in most countries for a raffle to not be free to enter, unless you have a gambling licence.

razy

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 11:07:59 AM »
I just figure it is better to cover our asses than to get banned over it. I know its been a touchy subject since the towelliee thing.

Feadern

• Youngling
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: Feadern
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »
I just figure it is better to cover our asses than to get banned over it. I know its been a touchy subject since the towelliee thing.

I don't know about this, is there a place I can find out what you mean? :)

Dante557

• Advisor
  • Councilor
  • Sometimes Helpful, Sometimes Not :D
    • View Profile
    • My Twitch Page
  • Twitch Name: Dante557
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 04:31:00 AM »
The general consensus goes that as long as the raffle is free to enter, you should be fine. Technically this would include putting an entry fee in terms of points as it wouldn't be free to enter then. I would put a disclaimer like "Raffles from this channel are not associated with Twitch" whenever you do decide to run one though to cover yourself like you've suggested in your original post.

Just add a command to Deepbot with that information for now and run it every time you decide to run a raffle for now :)
If you need to get through to me you can try to contact me on Twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/dante556

Feadern

• Youngling
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: Feadern
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 06:43:11 AM »
Well you're not paying for the online-currency either, so would that actually be included? I would understand with people who do "Donate $1 to be entered into the draw" but this is imaginary points?

JordanMillward_1

• Advisor
  • Padawan
    • View Profile
    • My Channel
  • Twitch Name: JordanMillward_1
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:04:01 AM »
Actually, using a stream currency still counts as free, as it does not require any transaction, in the sense of monetary value.

Dante557

• Advisor
  • Councilor
  • Sometimes Helpful, Sometimes Not :D
    • View Profile
    • My Twitch Page
  • Twitch Name: Dante557
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:36:36 AM »
Depends on your definition of free really. The user would still need to invest time into the stream to be able to gain the points to enter the raffle. They could circumvent this time by donating money to the streamer (Should the streamer allow donations) giving the points monetary value.

It's a matter of perspective.
If you need to get through to me you can try to contact me on Twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/dante556

razy

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:06:34 AM »
Yeah this argument of is "time invested = free" is part of why I brought this up as its a grey area imo. It's something that Experts should have a solid answer for. My viewers enjoy just betting the currency for fun but I would like to use it to reward my more loyal followers with better chances of winning. It doesn't help that the bot actually says their % chance of winning when they win either so its pretty clear that they had uneven odds.