Author Topic: Be able to edit certain 'built in' commands  (Read 5375 times)

Wolfie

• Padawan
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: Wolfie713
Be able to edit certain 'built in' commands
« on: September 14, 2015, 02:28:35 PM »
The main request here is actually to be able to edit the default command based on the name of the points system.  As it is, creating a command with the same name simply gets ignored.  So when creating a custom command, if it's the same as a built-in command, let it be run instead.  However, inside of a custom command, if another command is called on that is build-in, then that should be used instead of a custom command.

I'll explain with two examples.
In custom commands overriding built-in ones..    In my stream, my points are called pups, if I make a custom command named "!pups" then I could have it do something else like tell the person how many they have and when they were first seen by the bot instead of how many hours they've watched.

Custom commands that call on commands that are 'built-in' but ignoring any custom commands of the same name...  I might want to limit song requests to VIP bronze (and above) users.  So making a command "!requestsong" and then it doing "!requestsong @target@" wouldn't go into a look and I could limit the use to those who are VIP/Mods.  Likewise, if I make a "!songrequest" alias and have it call "!requestsong @target@" it would still go to the built-in command instead of the custom command.

I hope that makes sense.

Mitch

• Master
  • Took me 20 minutes to change this...
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: Mitch619911
Re: Be able to edit certain 'built in' commands
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 05:29:02 PM »
You just can make a command to change !requestsong to !dj (URL).
!dj @target@
It works the same way.

Please explain more if this did not answer it.
:)

Wolfie

• Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 11:01:59 PM »
You just can make a command to change !requestsong to !dj (URL).
!dj @target@
It works the same way.

Please explain more if this did not answer it.
That doesn't address the feature, as !requestsong would still be accessible.  The idea is to let certain built-in commands be overridden by custom commands of the same name.  Much like people can make a custom command of !tickets to be an alias of "!ticket @target@" except that it wouldn't be an alias of a command, it would be the exact same name.

Using the fact that my points are called "Pups," a user has to use !pups to see hours viewed and points earned.  What if I want to replace the default behavior of that?  If I create a custom commands called "!pups" and have it set to tell the viewer how many points they have and (say) when they were first seen in my chat, it won't work.  The built-in command runs instead.  (For some commands, this is understandable.  For example, !bot showing the DeepBot information.  I'm sure some people don't like it, but I see it as being a bit of a necessity.  If you know of a streamer using DeepBot, type it in and see they are using a version that has certain bugs in it that is causing them issues, you can tell them that those issues are corrected and that they simply need to update the bot to the latest version.  Also prevents someone from claiming to have made the bot if it reveals what the bot is really made of.)

Referring to the "requestsong" example...  In the interest of preventing loops from carelessness and to also make it simple, I was saying that within a custom command, if another command is called on where there is both a built-in command and a custom command, that the built-in should take priority.  Simply put, if it's a user issuing a command, custom takes priority but if it's a custom command calling another command, 'built-in' takes priority.  That way, someone could replace !requestsong with a custom version of the command and limit it to certain people (ie, VIP's) and the 'message' part would be "!requestsong @target@" and it's done.

Mitch

• Master
  • Took me 20 minutes to change this...
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: Mitch619911
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 10:30:17 AM »
Well just set "check points in bots chat only" in master settings and make a custom command.
Also for the other ones do the same (just can't remove the built-in command) make your users use the new command, its really not bad.
:)

Wolfie

• Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 03:48:41 PM »
Well just set "check points in bots chat only" in master settings and make a custom command.
Also for the other ones do the same (just can't remove the built-in command) make your users use the new command, its really not bad.
If someone wants to override existing commands, though, that doesn't really help, especially if someone knows the commands and uses it, which of course means others start to use it as well.

MercurY3rd

• Councilor
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: mercury3rd
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 09:49:11 PM »
Hey, so maybe this helps for now,

for the points, set it to "Only allow points to be checked on bot chat" then you can make a custom command called !pups and it will take your custom command.

For other build in commands i added for example the !cmdlist to the banned words on my channel, so no one can use !cmdlist as it will only display ***, so if you add !requestsong to the banned words then no one can use the command !requestsong, but commands with the message "!requestsong @target@" will still work and you can assign the custom command to VIP only
Hier steht nichts Sinnvolles, dennoch freundliche Grüße. MercurY

Wolfie

• Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 03:05:14 AM »
I think you're forgetting two rather important details.

1. If you ban the word "!requestsong" then even if you say "!requestsong (videoIDhere)" it will still return *'s in place of "!requestsong"

2. What command is "!requestsong" supposed to call on?  "!requestsong" perhaps?  Oh wait, loop.  Which is one of the issues I was mentioning above with the suggestion that custom commands that call on other commands follow "built-in" commands first before going to custom commands of the same name.

emrerocky

• Advisor
  • Councilor
    • View Profile
    • emrerocky's Website
  • Twitch Name: emrerocky
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 05:22:44 AM »
Well, isn't the point to change it from !requestsong to something else?  That was just an example.

Wolfie

• Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 01:54:08 PM »
No, the feature request is to be able to edit (or better yet override) the built in commands.

Aliasing is easy enough, it's being able to create custom commands to take the place (or act as a go-between) of built-in commands.

Wolfie

• Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 04:37:21 AM »
Any word on this?  Being able to override some default commands would be quite useful.

IQcrack

• Youngling
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: IQcrack
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 05:12:36 AM »
would be nice to edit the built in commands for translating or so or that we can do it more customable for the streamer and the viewer

Wolfie

• Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 07:28:41 AM »
would be nice to edit the built in commands for translating or so or that we can do it more customable for the streamer and the viewer
There's a card already in before my request, though it may be slightly different than what I had in mind.
https://trello.com/c/rIenJ6mT/58-client-customization-to-default-commands