Author Topic: Deepbot Downtime  (Read 2821 times)

Dante557

• Advisor
  • Councilor
  • Sometimes Helpful, Sometimes Not :D
    • View Profile
    • My Twitch Page
  • Twitch Name: Dante557
Deepbot Downtime
« on: January 14, 2016, 10:01:08 AM »
As I'm sure most of you have been aware, Deepbot for the most part of the 13th January 2016 was down. This was due to an expired SSL certificate. If you don't know what a SSL certificate is it basically is a pass which tells your browser "Oh, ok, this link is secure enough to send encrypted data over" (Which is why on some sites, especially login pages, you see https:// in front of the URL). This encrypts the data you send to the API over the internet to stop those who want to acquire your data from getting it easily.

This issue was that this certificate expired. As you've travelled across the internet I'm sure you've seen your browser warn you that the site you're about to enter is untrusted. This basically means that the certificate that allows the HTTPS protocol to transfer your data securely is more then likely not going to do that so it'd make your data more susceptible to man-in-the-middle attacks. Now usually these certificates get renewed before they tend to expire but unfortunately in this case that didn't happen. This meant that the SSL certificate was invalidated.

Of course as many of you also know you were still able to connect by rolling back your system's date. Your browser only matches the date that you have set to the date that is on the certificate when deciding if the link is trusted or not which is why that little work around actually worked.

I'm sure this issue angered many of you and all we can do is apologise for the downtime you have experienced. You are paying for a program and, even though it is still in beta, you want to be able to connect 99% of the time. Basically something like this shouldn't have happened in the first place. Hopefully measures will be put in place to prevent an event like this from happening again.

Again, sorry for the downtime and thank you for your patience. Thank you for reading this if you have made it down to the bottom of this post.

Sorry,
Dante557
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 11:15:09 AM by Dante557 »
If you need to get through to me you can try to contact me on Twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/dante556

erikmcketten

• Youngling
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: erikmcketten
Re: Deepbot Downtime
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 11:13:58 AM »
While the downtime was frustrating, I have yet to come close to regretting paying for DeepBot. You guys are doing an awesome job at making what has, in my opinion, become a necessary companion app for serious streamers.

apandaco

• Youngling
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: apandaco
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
Thank-you for this update on the issue any ETA on when this may be fixed as i am still having the issues even after switching dates etc. had to end my stream early tonight ... as my stream is very much depend on Deepbot. Thank-you for you quick respawns on fixxing this issue

emrerocky

• Advisor
  • Councilor
    • View Profile
    • emrerocky's Website
  • Twitch Name: emrerocky
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 02:41:09 PM »
Thank-you for this update on the issue any ETA on when this may be fixed as i am still having the issues even after switching dates etc. had to end my stream early tonight ... as my stream is very much depend on Deepbot. Thank-you for you quick respawns on fixxing this issue

The issue was fixed when this was originally posted.  Make sure you restart your computer and try again.  It may take a little bit for it to work for you, but it should be pretty instant.

Atirion

• Youngling
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: Atirion
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 06:56:54 PM »
Thanks for the update!
I didn't really mind the downtime. It can happen to anyone at anytime :p

You guys do a fantastic job and really appreciate the updates ^^ Didn't really think it was poorly explained at all. Gave more than what I expected to see :)

Yet again. Thanks :)

Loryy1990

• Youngling
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: Loryy1990
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 01:10:57 AM »
restartet my PC  reinstalled deepbot still the same error.

now even the change of the date does not work anymore.

well since the update i have to start deepbot as admin than it works .)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:19:11 AM by Loryy1990 »