Author Topic: Amount of points earned is modified as a function of time  (Read 1069 times)

SomethingScanning

• Youngling
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: SomethingScanning
Amount of points earned is modified as a function of time
« on: November 22, 2017, 07:01:14 PM »
I would like to propose an additional feature of the points system:
Rather than being a constant value, the number of points that a viewer earns can be modified as a function of time,
e.g. earned = base amount + time steps passed / constant
Where time steps is the interval when points are awarded (1 minute, 5 minutes, etc...), and constant is a user-defined number.
If possible, the function could be more complicated than a linear function, e.g. logarithm, Fibonacci sequence, etc...
For example: earned = ceiling( Fibonacci( time ) / time )
Where ceiling is the ceiling function, Fibonacci(n) is the n-th Fibonacci number, and time is a user-defined time step

In more general terms, under this proposed system the number of points earned, e, would equal f(t)
 e = f(t)
where t is the user-defined time step, and f is a strictly increasing function over the natural numbers

Dante557

• Advisor
  • Councilor
  • Sometimes Helpful, Sometimes Not :D
    • View Profile
    • My Twitch Page
  • Twitch Name: Dante557
Re: Amount of points earned is modified as a function of time
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 04:21:55 AM »
Hey there,

I've passed this into our team's Slack to discuss further. Deepbot does keep track of how long someone has watched a stream for. Rewarding more currency the longer someone has watched may not be that far of a stretch in all honesty.

The easier option when would be the linear function you presented, both for implementing and also understanding from the user's perspective. Longer someone has watched for = more point gain for them. This would reward committed viewers just that little bit more.

Would this be for That stream only or a perma boost to that viewer's point gain that you are proposing? I'm leaning more towards the latter myself but you may have different ideas of how you'd want this to be

Kind Regards
Dante557

If you need to get through to me you can try to contact me on Twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/dante556