Author Topic: Question about auto hosting  (Read 3485 times)

MikeKnowsGames

• Youngling
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: MikeKnowsGames
Question about auto hosting
« on: June 28, 2015, 01:34:09 PM »
This is pretty much the reason I got this bot, aside from viewer queueing, so I wanted to make sure that I have this straight. I'll explain the expected result I'm looking for in this case, and you can tell me if this is how the bot will work.

Let's say we have three people listed on our auto host list:

Stream1
Stream2
Stream3

So, if Stream1 is offline, after 2 minutes, Stream2 is hosted.

My questions:

1) If 1 is offline, and then 2 goes offline, does the system jump back to the top of the list to see if 1 is now online? Or does it always go to the next user?

2) If 1 is offline, and 2 is offline, we host 3. If 1 goes back online while 3 is still streaming, does it switch over to hosting 1?

Just curious about exactly how this functionality works so I can plan my host list accordingly. Thanks!

TheNumbLock

• Advisor
  • Councilor
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: TheNumbLock
Re: Question about auto hosting
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 02:52:44 AM »
1.) It will wait till one comes online, it starts from the top and works it's way down, back to the top. Unless Random is checked, then it will jump to different positions.

2.) Not automatically. You can set it to switch after x mins.

Basically with this setup, it will run down from the top of the list, to the bottom, before resetting at the top again. It will switch hosts/try to switch after 2 hours. (It can be annoying, because it may see some streams offline, when they are online, just an FYI. To counter this, just set the offline wait to like 10 mins.)

Old Name: RepentGamingTV
Twitch: Here

Need help ASAP?
Join Deepbot's Discord: Discord.Deepbot.tv
Deepbot's Twitter: @DeepSupport

MikeKnowsGames

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 06:50:29 AM »
Sorry, let me be more specific about #2.

Let's forget about the 2 min delay. Stream 1 is highest, 3 is lowest on list. Stream 1 is offline, and so is 2, and we're hosting 3. Stream 3 is still online, and 1 comes back on. Will it switch to Stream 1? Or wait for 3 to be off, then check the list again?

emrerocky

• Advisor
  • Councilor
    • View Profile
    • emrerocky's Website
  • Twitch Name: emrerocky
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 07:06:09 AM »
It will either wait for 3 to go offline, or change when the "Switch After" timer finishes.

MikeKnowsGames

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 02:21:21 AM »
Makes sense, thanks.

Another question:

I woke up today to see this in my auto host:

[29-Jun 09:30] Now hosting stream2
[29-Jun 09:20] Stream 1 is offline. Waiting 10 mins before cycling hosts.
[29-Jun 09:14] Now hosting stream 1
[29-Jun 09:04] Stream 1 is offline. Waiting 10 mins before cycling hosts.
[29-Jun 07:43] Now hosting stream 1
[29-Jun 07:33] Stream 1 is offline. Waiting 10 mins before cycling hosts.
[29-Jun 05:19] Now hosting stream 1
[29-Jun 05:09] Stream 1 is offline. Waiting 10 mins before cycling hosts.
[29-Jun 04:11] Now hosting stream 1
[29-Jun 04:01] Stream 1 is offline. Waiting 10 mins before cycling hosts.
[29-Jun 03:26] Now hosting stream 1

This was repeated for quite awhile. I checked, and Stream 1 was online for a full uninterrupted 10 hours without going offline. My questions:

1) What would have caused Deepbot to think that that stream was offline?
2) Does this mean that it did a fresh /host stream 1 every time, or just stayed the course and changed nothing?
3) Did Stream 1 get a channel notification every time Deepbot went back to hosting it?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if a low bitrate or tech issue causes Deepbot to constantly unhost/rehost, which would be immensely annoying to the people I'm hosting who have popups for hosts, and might actually hurt my reputation.

Anyone have any insight?

MikeKnowsGames

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 07:07:28 AM »
Regardless of the season, it looks like it's actually doing multiple /host commands when it even THINKS a user might be going offline. This is wrecking my rep a bit, as some streamers I host think I'm spamming them to get popups and attention.

What's the workaround for this?

ExpertsOnline

• Creator
  • Councilor
    • View Profile
  • Twitch Name: expertsonline
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:03:37 PM »
I will do some more testing on this, however my initial thoughts are its because of the Twitch API returning incorrect results making the bot think the stream is offline.
Some of the API issues that have been seen lately are listed here : http://discuss.dev.twitch.tv/t/multiple-bugs-with-streams-its-pretty-broken/2693

The bot already waits for 2 confirmations that a stream is offline before switching. I could try and add more checks until the API is stable again.

Will do some testing and add 'workarounds' in the next patch.

Regards,
Experts

MikeKnowsGames

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 03:22:21 AM »
I can confirm that with a 10 minute offline switchover, people are seeing multiple host popups, which makes it look like I'm begging for attention.

Could we add an option for multiple checks? Like say, if I wanted to raise it manually? That way you could tailor it to whether you want instant content all the time at the cost of possible spam, or a more safe flow of streamed content but with possible delays to that content due to multiple API checks.

Thoughts?

xDevlinx21

• Youngling
  • http://twitch.tv/xDevlinx21
    • View Profile
    • Dev's TwitchTV
  • Twitch Name: xDevlinx21
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:43:07 AM »
I've actually started having this issue as well, would be nice to see it fixed. I can confirm that Stream1 was up the entire time as I was in there. Unsure of Stream2 but looking at my follow list, Stream2 is still going, as is Stream3.
See log below.

[14:38:43] Now hosting Stream1.
[15:02:53] Looks like Stream1 is offline. Lets give it 2 mins before switching hosts.
[15:05:03] Now hosting Stream1.
[15:24:14] Looks like Stream1 is offline. Lets give it 2 mins before switching hosts.
[15:26:25] Now hosting Stream1.
[15:45:35] Looks like Stream1 is offline. Lets give it 2 mins before switching hosts.
[15:47:45] Now hosting Stream1.
[16:13:36] Looks like Stream1 is offline. Lets give it 2 mins before switching hosts.
[16:15:36] Now hosting Stream2.
[17:01:27] Looks like Stream2 is offline. Lets give it 2 mins before switching hosts.
[17:03:38] Now hosting Stream3.
[17:24:28] Looks like Stream3 is offline. Lets give it 2 mins before switching hosts.
[17:26:38] Now hosting Stream3.